17 January 2013 | Christina Langley
Christina Langley, managing director at Langley Search & Selection, advises on how to ask for a pay rise.
● Negotiate salary review dates when you first join the company.
● Calculate your return on investment. Show how much you’ve brought to the firm.
● Suggest other projects you could deliver and that it will come at a cost.
● Raise your profile. When a promotion comes up, ask your stakeholders to nominate you for the post.
● Pick your moment – perhaps after a good performance review or the culmination of a project.
● Ensure that your boss is aware if you are headhunted and have remained committed to your role.
● Ask for benefits rather than a salary bump.
● Move company. Ensure you maximise salary increases with a move.
● Benchmark your package with recruitment agencies and seek out salary surveys.