11 October 2012 | Pat Law
Pat Law, recently appointed head of practice at Portfolio Procurement, highlights some key tips for those taking up a new role.
● Prioritise: have clarity around your initial priorities, so decide what needs achieving by when and track your progress.
● Discover: make sure you have a good understanding of the important things that are happening around the organisation and the key relationships you will need.
● Communicate: keep your boss informed of how you are doing and make yourself approachable.
● Focus: avoid gossip, office politics and things that aren’t productive or that will distract you.
● Question: you are not expected to know everything so ask questions – and be sure to remember the answers.
● Smile: this is an exciting time for you, have fun and work hard.